One professor recently asked our class, "where does Jesus come to us from?" Looks of blank expressions. Clarification: "Does Jesus mostly push us from the past or pull us from the future?" Answer: "Jesus is pulling us from the future, into the future, saying come follow me."
Are you ever shock and awed by the future developments becoming present reality. I'm still impressed by glow-in-the-dark stuff, so when the first
He poses a time in which humans could become immortal by pushing a button and downloading mind to microprocessor. (By the way, brain to computer interfaces already exist - think fighter pilots and prosthetics.) At one conference of genetic engineers, robotics experts and nanotechnology scientists, essentially nobody there doubted that there would come a time that
Are these things we are talking about in our churches? What's amazing is that Bill Joy and others are recommending a moratorium on the advancing of GRIN
Can we talk about holograms? Did you see Elvis on Idol singing with Celine Dion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzcW7Yq3TAc
People in the audience actually thought that Elvis looked more real than Celine Dion (I won't comment any further here). When the choir came out, I guarantee that the question the audience asked themselves was are they real? This
I'm not going to say how we should use or think about technologies. I'm not proposing hysteria or isolation. I'm just hoping to stimulate a little thinking/feeling/playing. If God is moving, and
Here's my pathetic and maybe humorous attempt to predict the future....
In the year 2000 (read 2020)...
- Churches will be both bigger and smaller.
- Motion censor paper towel dispensers will move back to touch dispensers.
- Highly liturgical churches will have more members than "contemporary" churches.
- College students will not remember a time when people used keyboards.
- There will be more women training to be pastors than men.
- Electronic reading will surpass paper reading.
- Mustache back in, goatee out.
- The penny will be extinct from our currency. (they cost twice as much to make than worth).
- Storytelling and storytellers will be the keepers of culture and community.
- A new communication medium
toolwith emerge: smellaphone and smellavision.