Friday, October 1, 2010

Judgment Week

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens."

Jesus sort of said something like this when he talked about getting the plank out of your own eye before trying to get the speck out of your brother's eye (an illustration that must of had his audience elbowing each other and saying, "this guy is hilarious.") 

This week I have been thinking a lot about judging, because as I've been teaching through the sermon on the mount, this is the topic that is up for this Sunday. Now, as someone who delivers the message, I am sometimes immune from being too effected from God transforming my own heart (a tragic but true reality). As long as I am concerned with the specks in everyone else... (you get the idea). My hope is to become more awakened to how God is working in those people who I tend to write off, judge, tune out. These are the very people who I have something to learn from. 

So this week, I am asking myself the questions, how am I blinded by the planks in my eye?What are my blind spots? Who do I judge? Before doing any heavy soul searching I did some reading on the website www.stuffchristianslike.net to get the juices flowing. The blogger (a Christian with a wicked sense of humor) had a good list of stuff Christians like (to judge) #521 Judging people who use the table of contents in their Bible, #210 Judging people who you see jogging on Sunday morning, #589 Judging people who watch TV, #667 Judging who is poor enough for our charity.

So, when do I get that smug feeling of superiority? Here it is.

Top Ten list of People I Love to Judge:
10.  People who would rather text a conversation that be in a Face to Face conversation.
9.  People who spend top dollar on designer jeans.
8.  People who judge other people (especially if the other person is me).
7.  People who are too cool for cool.
6.  People who get all their information from Fox News.
5.  People who don't realize they have a worldview that is tainted.
4.  People who misuse the words "ironic" and "literally."
3.  People who overuse the words "totally" and "dude."
2.  People who use teeth whitener (often the same people who have fake tans)...c'mon when is white white   enough and tan (read orange-tan) tan enough?
1.  People who think their way of seeing something is the only way (even though way smarter and better informed people disagree).

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I guess I have more issues than I realized.




No comments:

Post a Comment